The former Tivoli cinema built under the plan of the architect Vincent Kelly opened on the 21st of Dec 1934 and operated until 1964. Third largest cinema in Dublin was fitted with Philipps sound system.
Later in the 80s it was converted into a Theatre (auditorium for 500) and Music venue (1200) : Sinead O'Conor and many others had their concert in there. The Tivoli staged lately music halls and Pantos.
Located at 135-138 Francis street, D8, in the Antique shop street of Dublin it might be demolished to built an aparthotel.
Robinson and Keefe (a well know Irish Architect practice) undertook the design of the building located in Cathal Brugha Street, just off O'Connell Street in Dublin 1.
The architecture with its Dutch influence blends in its urban location. The sculpture of Gabriel Hayes in the curvy corner stands out and depict the original studies in the College. Outstanding Art Deco features can be traced in from the parapet roof line up to inside in the hall (terrazzo floors, marble pilars, fretworks on the side panels of entrance door, stone canopy).
After five years of construction St Mary's College opened officially on the 16th of June 1941 and in September young girls could start their education in Domestic Science. The education took a turn in the following years and is now the DIT for Hospitality Management Tourism and Culinary Arts and Food Technology with around 3000 students.From 1941 to 1973 three women were appointed as a first principal of the College.
With the new campus with Grangegorman it will be relocated by 2018 .The building will be on sale for an estimated price of €15-20 Million.
Designed by Herbert Simms 1933, the architect of Dublin Corporation. A magnificent council housing with 345 units, a big internal yard with playground for toddlers and teens together with a football pitch and nice manicured garden.
Artist Jeanette Lowe had redecorated a flat to the time of the late 30s. Her grand-mother, Bridget Ashmore, was among the first to live in those flats. 2 bedrooms flat with fire place in each rooms, kitchen and bathroom in one single room (the bathtub would have been the original one). Separate toilet and a living/dining-room. Hardwood floor
Countess Markievicz house is part of Herbert Georges SIMMS ' legacy built around 1934-39
U-shape 4-storey public housing in red and yellow bricks with awesome tower gate canopied entrances and curved end building.Each flat gives on a communal balcony facing the central courtyard where children have their playground
8 blocks with 170 flats and 4 shop units